Dec 1st

It is the first day of the month.  It means much.  End of tribulations with an anticipation of a new beginning for some, extended joy from the previous month for others, a change for most and just another day for a few!
The morning saw us counting money even as the daughter was busily trying to be ready on time for school.  Courtesy demonetisation, the money that comes home now is more in lots of 20s or 100s. The cook complains that someone gave her a crisp 2k note which has been lying in a pouch tied in a kerchief and tucked behind clothes in her trunk since some days. She has been unable to get change for it. So she chooses the option of notes of 20 at our place to make her everyday buys easier.  I get two bunches out and start counting. Half-way through, the husband says something to distract me and then I get back to start. Then the daughter needs help with hair so I get back again. I am not refuting charges of low concentration. I do realize how bad I am with numbers and more money. So, I just hand over the bunch of notes to the husband. He counts, even with the many distractions including me. He counts again to confirm. It all seems  so effortless. And then I stop wondering if I have paid the right amount and start wondering if something is wrong with me! This is how December begins for me!
December, I learn today, is also a flower found in  Gajapati district, supposedly used to beautify braids.  But to us, this month means more. It reminds us of our happy existence together today, despite that ‘eventful’ day, many moons ago, when amidst chanting of mantras and blessings of relatives, like in most Indian marriages our happiness was corroded by unpleasantness ;). The day left us with strong memories. More like a reminder, kept in one corner of the mind,  to keep the soft me alert for life. The ups and downs helped us cope leaving us stronger with the family bond.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just another day!

Grilled chicken and more!

If only I knew!